- The topic or subject area of the views-journalism items you are proposing to deal with in your 1st written assignment
The analysis article would examine video game journalists’ attitude to No Man’s Sky, a science fiction game recently released that has been argued to be overhyped and failing to deliver on promises the developers made – the piece would analyse views article on the game and it’s marketing from three of the biggest video game media outlets – Polygon, Kotaku and Next Media’s gaming news site Hyper.
- The headline/title/name etc of the items (or a brief designator if a broadcast item) and information on where and when they were published/broadcast
No Man’s Sky:
- No Man’s Sky is the new Destiny by Ben Kuchera on the 18th August 2016, published by Polygon.
- The No Man’s Sky Hype Dilemma by Jason Schreier on the 19th August 2016, published by Kotaku.
- One paragraph summarising what you believe are going to be your primary conclusions – i.e.what you anticipate will be the main point of your intended article.
I believe I will come to the conclusion that all three authors will argue that they expected more from the game and believe the constant feed of trailers, interviews and little hands-on experience prior to the release convinced the community to have unreasonably high expectations that the game would never deliver on. They will use a mixture of facts and evaluations at most, and will briefly recommend strategies both players and developers can use in the future to avoid overhyping, or even detail the potential negative consequences – or at least evaluate the ramifications – of the game being overhyped.